Thursday, October 18, 2007

Matter and substance

Razheana [not her real name*] is S.C.'s imaginary friend. Weighing herself on the bathroom scale, S.C. comments,

"Razheana weighs zero pounds, because she is imaginary."

-- S.C., 3 years old (January 2006)


[* Is there something peculiar about giving a pseudonym to an imaginary friend...?]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++



"Mommy's Hand and My Hand"
S.C. - 3 years old

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Inside of me is just a skeleton, but on the outside, I'm a girl."


-- S.C., 3 years old
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++




"Caterpillar and Butterfly"
S.C. - 3 years old

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I see a Sophia Claire in your eyes. Do you see a Mommy in mine?"

-- S.C., 3 years old

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I'll be a mommy someday, and you'll still be my mommy, even when I'm a mommy. And I'll have children of my own.

"I wonder, who will they be?"

-- S.C., 3 years old

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Watching a fire engine pass by, sirens blaring, lights flashing:

"Can we pray, when the fire engine goes by? Does it help to pray?"

-- S.C., 3 years old

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sadly, shaking head slowly and contemplatively:

"In a hundred years . . . in a hundred years . . . in a hundred years, . . . Mr. Rogers won't be here."

-- S.C., 3 years old

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments:

Post a Comment